Free Web Hosting Provider - Web Hosting - E-commerce - High Speed Internet - Free Web Page
Search the Web

KING ABDUL AZIZ UNIVERSITY

The King Abdul Aziz University (PO Box 1540, Jeddah 21441), founded in 1967 (1386/87 AH), has 1,196 teachers and more than 34,000 students.

Established initially as a private university, King Abdul Aziz University was converted to a state university in 1971 (1390/91 AH). It has the following Faculties: Arts and Humanities, Earth Sciences, Economics and Administration, Education (in Madinah), Engineering, Marine Sciences, Medicine and Allied Sciences, Meteorology, and Science.

The University awards Master’s degrees in Earth Sciences, Economics and Administration, Education, Humanities, Marine Sciences, Meteorology and the Environment, and Sciences. It awards Doctorates in Earth Sciences and Education.

The Research and Development Center (which forms part of the Faculty of Economics and Administration), the International Center for Research in Islamic Economics and the King Fahd Medical Research Center (all in Jeddah) are attached to the King Abdul Aziz University.

KING SAUD UNIVERSITY (1)

The King Saud University (PO Box 2454, Riyadh 11451), founded in 1957 (1376/77 AH) as the Riyadh University and renamed in 1982 (1402/03 AH), has more than 2,500 teachers and more than 31,000 students. As one of the first institutions of higher education in Saudi Arabia, it has on its register more than a quarter of all the Kingdom's university level students (male and female) and more than one-third of all the Kingdom's university and administrative staff.

There are Colleges of Administrative Sciences, Agriculture, Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences (in Al-Qassim), Arts, Computer Sciences, Dentistry, Economics and Administration (in Al-Qassim), Education (also in Abha), Engineering, Medicine (also in Abha and Al-Qassim), Allied Medical Sciences, Pharmacy and Science.

There is also a College for Graduate Studies, a Center for Women's University Studies and an Arabic Language Institute, a Center for Continuing Education and an Institute of Languages.

KING SAUD UNIVERSITY (2)

The King Saud University admits women. As early as 1961-1962 (1381-1382 AH) women were allowed to enroll as external students in the Colleges of Arts and Administrative Sciences. In 1975-1976 (1395-1396 AH), they were accepted as full-time students. The Center for Women's University Studies was established a year later, to provide a center for the development and supervision of all aspects of women's higher education. Women students now pursue their studies in a wide range of subjects including Arabic language, English language, geography, history, sociology and social work.

ISLAMIC UNIVERSITY

The Islamic University (PO Box 170, Madinah), founded in 1961 (1380/81 AH), has 362 teachers and more than 3,000 students.

The University has Faculties of Islamic Law (Shari'ah), the Holy Qur'an and Islamic Studies, Da'wa and Usul Al-Din, Islamic Traditions (Hadith) and Arabic Language.

The Islamic University in Madinah is analogous to the Al-Azhar University of Cairo. It is essentially a school of Islamic theology. While, in recent years, the Al-Azhar of Cairo has expanded its field to secular programs of study such as medicine and engineering, the Islamic University in Madinah continues to focus all its resources on religious affairs.

Saudi students constitute almost 80% of the total enrollment. Foreign students have come to the Islamic University from more than 70 countries.

KING ABDUL AZIZ UNIVERSITY

The King Abdul Aziz University (PO Box 1540, Jeddah 21441), founded in 1967 (1386/87 AH), has 1,196 teachers and more than 34,000 students.

Established initially as a private university, King Abdul Aziz University was converted to a state university in 1971 (1390/91 AH). It has the following Faculties: Arts and Humanities, Earth Sciences, Economics and Administration, Education (in Madinah), Engineering, Marine Sciences, Medicine and Allied Sciences, Meteorology, and Science.

The University awards Master’s degrees in Earth Sciences, Economics and Administration, Education, Humanities, Marine Sciences, Meteorology and the Environment, and Sciences. It awards Doctorates in Earth Sciences and Education.

The Research and Development Center (which forms part of the Faculty of Economics and Administration), the International Center for Research in Islamic Economics and the King Fahd Medical Research Center (all in Jeddah) are attached to the King Abdul Aziz University.

IMAM MUHAMMAD BIN SAUD UNIVERSITY

The Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University (PO Box 5701, Riyadh), founded in 1953 (1372/73 AH) and accorded university status in 1974 (1394 AH), has more than 1,400 teachers and more than 28,000 students. The total number of female students registered in 1994 (1414 AH) was 3,807.

The Imam Muhammad bin Saud University is an international educational and cultural institution. It was formally inaugurated by Royal Decree in 1974 (1394 AH). Currently the University is composed of several faculties. The High Judiciary Institute was originally established in 1965 (1384/85 AH) for the purpose of graduating qualified Shari'ah judges. The Faculty of Shari'ah (theology) was established earlier in 1953 (1373 AH) for the purpose of meeting the demand for qualified Ulama and preachers throughout the country. The Faculty of Arabic Language and Social Science was originally established as the Faculty of Social Science in 1970 (1390 AH) and was expanded in 1974 (1394 AH) by adding an Arabic language major and a program in library science.

KING FAISAL UNIVERSITY (1)

The King Faisal University in Dammam and Hofuf (PO Box 1982, Dammam), founded in 1975 (1395 AH), has some 778 teachers. The total student enrollment in 1994 (1414 AH) was 5,944, of which 2,859 were female.

The idea of establishing a university in the Eastern Region was originated by the late King Faisal in 1974 (1394 AH). The then Crown Prince Fahd's efforts brought into existence the King Faisal University, which was inaugurated during the academic year 1975-1976 (1395-1396 AH) with two campuses. The first campus is in Hofuf in Al-Hasa and it comprises the Faculties of Agriculture, and Veterinary Medicine and Animal Resources. The second campus is located in Dammam and consists of the Faculties of Medicine and Medical Sciences (established with the educational co-operation of Harvard University) and of Engineering. The campus at Al-Hasa now also caters for female students of home economics, medicine and dentistry.

KING FAISAL UNIVERSITY (2)

One of the main objectives of the University is to modernize teaching methods. It is also committed to the development of study plans to serve the requirements of the local environment. In this context, the University offers consultancy, guidance and training programs for several bodies in the field of community service. The Community Service Center in the University encourages teaching staff to develop technical skills (in agriculture, commerce, education and engineering) to meet requirements at local community level.

KING FAHD UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM & MINERALS

The King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (PO Box 144, Dhahran 31261) was founded in 1963 (1382/83 AH) under the name of the College of Petroleum and Minerals with fewer than 100 students. In 1964 (1383/84 AH), the University decided to admit other Arab and Muslim students along with Saudi students. The College was officially inaugurated in 1965 (1384/85 AH) by the late King Faisal who, on that occasion, declared that "it is a great pleasure for us to take part in inaugurating this great institution, of which the least that can be said is that it represents one of the pillars of our scientific, economic and industrial development". By 1974 (1394 AH), student enrollment had increased to 1,500 and it was accorded university status in 1975 (1395 AH).

In December 1986 (1407 AH), the University became the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. The University has some 600 teachers and, in 1994 (1414 AH), there were 5,902 students. The King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals can now claim to be a university with internationally acknowledged and respected standards of academic and technical excellence in the fields of petroleum and mineral technology.

UMM AL-QURA UNIVERSITY

The Umm Al-Qura University (PO Box 407/715, Makkah), founded in 1979 (1399/1400 AH) and accorded university status in 1981-1982 (1401-1402 AH), had on its register more than 15,000 students in the year 1994 (1414 AH), of whom more than 7,700 were female. Originally, this institution included Colleges of Shari'ah and Education and an institute to teach Arabic language to non-Arabs, all of which functioned as branches of the King Abdul Aziz University. Later Colleges of Agricultural Sciences, Arabic Language, Applied Sciences and Engineering, Da'wa and Usul El-Din, Education (in Taif) and Social Sciences were opened.

A number of scientific centers are affiliated to the colleges of this University (for example, the Educational and Psychological Research Center, the Hajj Research Center, the International Center for Islamic Education, the Scientific and Engineering Research Center and the Scientific Research and Islamic Heritage Rejuvenation Center). In addition, the Umm Al-Qura University co-operates with a number of foreign universities and other academic institutions through scientific exchange and scholarships.

 

<<<<<GO        HOME       GO>>>>>